Monday, October 3, 2011

Fairlady - Rear suspension upgrade started.

I started doing some work on the rear suspension, but it seems like I took one step forward and two steps backwards after what happened with one of my stub axles.

Here is a comparison of the new and old springs.

I am glad I decided to go ahead and replace the shocks. They were leaking pretty bad. I can push in the piston by hand and it does not even try to they are trash.

While I have everything apart I am also replacing the wheel bearings. This involves taking out the stub axles, something I have never done before. To remove the lock nut on the 240z you have to grind away the nut where it is pressed into the stub axle. The first side I did worked perfect without any trouble at all. On the second side I didn't grind enough metal away and ended up snapping the end of the stub axle off at the threads. I did not expect the metal to be that soft. Oh well..another expensive lesson learned the hard way.

Here is a before pic so you can get an idea of what has to be grinded away to remove the lock nut.

After - ouch.

Now I need to find a replacement stub axle. I think I may just use one from my other 240Z since they will be upgraded to the stronger 280Z or modern motorsports stub axles anyway.


s30zproject said...

you don’t need to grind it off at all! Just use a chinsel to bend the bent-in sides outwords a little bit and then use a rattle-gun (at full torque) to remove them - it’s like I did (check my blog on for pictures). Was no problem at all, and they where seriously stuck.

Brad Richardson said...

Great project.

I was using this page for reference. It is where I got the idea to grind away the lock nut.

I'll try using a chisel if I ever have to do this again.

welshman said...

i didn't grind or chisel. i just built 2 long breaker bars, one to keep the assembly from rotating and the other to hang from. she came right off and didn't even damage the threads. of course i think one side (maybe both) had been removed in the past making the 2nd time a bit easier.

noise figure said...

Happy it helps! When you complete, if you want to discuss it, I’d really like to get a invitee writing from you!

Post a Comment